Chambers ‘header’ bags three points!

Nottingham Forest – 1
Bristol City – 0

On a day when elevation to the Premier League became even more enticing after the sacking of Andy Gray as a pundit by Sky Sports, the Reds welcomed Bristol City to the City Ground on a chilly rainy evening.  Our visitors were competent whilst unadventurous, opting to defend their 0-0 draw and hit on the break.  Winning this game-in-hand over teams has moved us within a point of the automatic promotion picture.

The low tuesday night crowd, probably cut down by people desperately awaiting that post-Christmas pay packet coupled with the understandably small following from the West Country didn’t generate much of an atmosphere, and in response – depending on whether you think the crowd is the chicken or the egg (and indeed, which needs to come to life first), it often struggled to ‘get going’ on the pitch.

Billy altered things a smidge after the weekend’s game at Derby County, but not a great deal, returning Tys to a wide berth and withdrawing Anderson for Earnshaw who slotted in up front with Tudgay:

Gunter    Morgan    Chambers    Lynch
Tyson    Moussi    Cohen    McGugan
Tudgay    Earnshaw

Walking back to the car post-match we decided it was a comfortable game for the most part, but one where – similarly to against Derby at the weekend – the final ball was lacking somewhat to get a decent chance to test David James.  City utilised their pacey players to hit us on the break, and in truth they probably should have done better with the opportunities they had too.

Forest lost the toss and were made to swap ends, although it was the Reds who started brightest.  The first serious opportunity arrived when Lynch was fouled around 25 yards from goal giving Lewis an early opportunity to ping a freekick – it was well struck and James made the save, parrying to Nathan Tyson who whipped the ball back across just evading Luke Chambers.

In between some dogged possession with Bristol City sitting deep, content to let Forest keep the ball, a delicious move save McGugan work his way inside from the left, whip a ball to Earnshaw who cleverly flicked the ball to Tudgay who hit a shot goalward bringing a save from James.  Without seeing it again I’d say Marcus should probably have done better with the chance.

City’s threat tended to be through either Campbell-Ryce or Adomah who were pacey and tricky, generally Lynch and Gunter marshalled them well but they did hit us with counter attacks on occasion.  After around 30 minutes one such break resulted in a poor attempt on goal which was a fairly routine save for Lee Camp.

Further almost-but-not-quite opportunities were carved out by Forest, good work from Gunter down the right saw the fullback whip in a cross which almost found Earnie, but – perhaps predictable – he was beaten in the air by the defender to get it clear.  Another chance went begging when Cohen slipped Tyson clear but his first touch let him down somewhat allowing Adomah to get it clear.

So half time felt okay.  It hadn’t been scintillating and after the bedlam of the weekend the atmosphere was definitely a little on the flat side, but whilst not exactly over-working David James the Reds had enjoyed the lion’s share of possession and we’ve seen before that sides that come to the City Ground these days to spoil don’t generally get much from it.

It only took three minutes to breach the goal at the Bridgford End.  A foul on Tudgay gave us a freekick which was whipped in with pace by Chris Cohen, on the end of which I think was Bristol City defender who headed it, then Luke Chambers headed it onto his own shoulder before it crossed the line agonisingly slowly much to the annoyance of James in the City goal.  Scrappy, but no less enjoyable as a result!

This development forced the visitors to change their gameplan somewhat – and to their credit they did start to pose more of a threat on our goal.  A shot from Adomah from range looked to be fairly routine for Camp but either a momentary lapse of concentration from him or a swerve saw him readjust at the last minute and have to resort to conceding a corner.

Campbell-Ryce was looking threatening in the attack with a bit of pace and trickery – but ultimately offered no end product when presented with an opportunity.  Billy made an unpredictable change here, withdrawing Tyson for McCleary – although, given his workrate at the weekend I was surprised to see Nath starting tonight it has to be said.

Bristol City continued to seek ways back into the match, a great opportunity fell to Adomah who had a clear sight of goal from just inside the area but blazed over when really he should be at least forcing Camp into action.  Gradually Forest worked their way back into the game though, and Moussi – who’d been winning everything in midfield (sometimes having lost it in the first place, granted!) whipped a tantalising ball in which Earnie was close to connecting with in the area.

Another opportunity fell to Earnshaw from range who elected to try to beat David James – slightly out of position – from long range, ultimately it wasn’t  a great attempt and there were passes on too.  That said we’d be lauding him if it had come off, so let’s not be too harsh!  Moments later he did well breaking forward and cut the ball back to McGugan who was literally ambling into the area, the midfielder lacked composure though and blasted it well over the bar.

Big Dele and McGoldrick were introduced for Tudgay and Earnshaw respectively – the former getting a warm reception from the City fans who’d made the trip.  The two later subs combined to get the ball to McGugan in the box, but Skuse was on hand to block his effort.  Moments later he’d done well to get into position in the area from a tight angle, but his powerful cross-cum-shot was safely gathered by James.

Deep into stoppage time there was a slight flutter of hearts when City won a freekick in a dangerous position and it wasn’t cleared immediately, but eventually McCleary was able to take the ball clear and into a corner to wind the clock down a little with the referee blowing for time moments later giving the Reds the win that, whilst not a classic, their performance had warranted.

So that’s one game in hand out the way and with maximum points achieved and excellent result for the boys.  Whilst we only climb one place to fifth we are only one point behind fourth, third and second – and already with superior goal difference to them.  And with a game in hand over all of them (two games over Swansea).  Of course, games in hand are worth nowt ’til they’re played.

We have to play a fair few of those teams above us too – so this generally cautious fan isn’t getting too carried away yet.  I’m also not getting carried away with Billy Davies’ post-match comments with Robin Chipperfield.  When quizzed about transfers Billy wasn’t his usual curt self, rather than the usual “you’ll have to ask someone else” type responses he said “No news yet, but lets’s see what the next couple of days brings!”

This has prompted the usual speculation – I suspect he just meant that the January window has a couple (well, more than a couple) of days left to go and to wait and see.  Others interpret it more hopefully – certainly Billy was in a very good mood in the interview, but you would expect that when he’s seen his side notch yet another cracking result to keep our push towards the right end of the table going!

8 Responses

  1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Forest Fan and Max Newton, Nottm Forest news. Nottm Forest news said: Chambers 'header' bags three points! […]

  2. Thanks for posting so soon after the game NFFC – as ever, top drawer! Another three points, we’re on the way fellow reds!!

  3. Yea agree with you crash we seem to be cutting the mustard these days.Whats pleased me the most is that we are showing bottle in games now that last season we would have lost or drawn.

    Great result thanks for the top reports as ever nffc all we need now is a couple of good quality siginings and we are in the ZONE.

    U reds

  4. A great result if not the performance to match.

    I think it was significant that although there was the occasional groan, the Forest Fans didn’t get on the players backs & were more patient than they have been in previous seasons.
    Maybe us fans have gotten better over the last year too?

    • Maybe? Its more likely that the moaners have had very little to complain about as of late and to get on players backs last night so soon after beating derby would of made themselves sound even bigger dicks.

  5. brizzlewereartocious!!!!!!

    I think you were too kind to them, They were the worst side to come to the City Ground since the last worse team to come to the City Ground!

    For me worse than ewe know who and Palace!!!

  6. and now folks ….its over to Mark aaaargghthur

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: